This is the complete step by step guide of Brain wave decoder project.We will cover each and every step with details and practical results.There are three main parts of the project The hardware,circuit designing and the software.In the hardware section we will discuss about EEG project applications,The selection of electrodes for capturing EEG waves. The circuit designing part consists of designing filters for extracting EEG waves.The last part is about test results and real time EEG wave simulations. The brain wave controlling EEG project consists of many sub sections.The complete project will be covered in the following posts.
- Brain wave decoder EEG project step by step guide
- What is EEG and How it works
- What is the History of EEG waves and Neuro imaging techniques
- Brain computer interface BCI monitoring systems
- Functionality and Applications of the brain wave EEG project
- Material required for portable EEG system development
- How to select electrodes for brain wave EEG project
- circuit designing steps for EEG portable monitoring device
- How to design filters for EEG circuit
- Schematic diagrams of brain wave EEG project
- Simulation analysis of brain wave controlling EEG project
- Challenges and Problems in EEG brain wave controlling project
- Final results of brain wave decoder EEG project
- How to filter EEG waves on MATLAB
- Future research for EEG project
- Hardware and software list for EEG project
EEG System Development:
There are two parts of EEG system development. The first is the signal acquisition and the second is signal translation. In this chapter we will discuss about signal acquisition. The signal acquisition part consists of signal picking and EEG circuit development. There are further two parts the hardware and software. For the implementation of hardware part, the EEG circuit must be built which consists of signal picking filtering and amplifying. The EEG signal occurs at very low voltage the extremely low voltage is approximately 20μV and in a very low frequency range around 30 HZ range. The EEG signal cannot be readable by any microprocessor or controller neither it can be readable by oscilloscope. To make the signal readable the filters and amplifiers used to cut out the extra frequency and noise and amplifying the signal to make it visible. The EEG signal come up with the large amount of noise even after filtering and amplifying. To remove noise and further filtration process can be done using MATLAB. The extra noise added in circuit due to the artifacts. The artifacts are the distortion when we move our head or make any movement or the noise from breadboard or the movement of wires.
The microcontroller converts the output into digital form and sends to perform any task. The main EEG circuit involves the basic filtering function as the EEG signal occurs in the range of 30 HZ, so we have to build a 31 hz LPF (low pass filter. Similarly, problem in EEG data collection is noise, there are different types of noise disturbed the EEG signal. The most prominent is the AC noise that is coming from the AC environment. We are centered at 50-60- HZ extremely effects EEG. For this we must use a filter that remove line noise. The notch at the frequency of 60 HZ. Further filtration processes and amplification will be discussed in coming sections.
Here is the list of material and components used for EEG Circuit:
Table: 3-1 Materials and components List
|1 uF |
|TL084 Operational Amplifier |
UAF42 Notch Filter
|Arduino uno |
Note: If the Notch filter UAF42 IC is not available in the market, then some of the components will be different. We will list down these components in the Notch filter section.
Hardware and Software List:
For our project we worked on the following software:
- Multisim: Multisim is simulation software for various designs. This software is widely used because almost all required components are available in it. It is a tool used for testing various programs, simulations and complex electronics designs. It is also used for schematic designing and capture and for PCB (Printed Circuit Board) designing. We have used multisim for developing simulation circuits for Main Board and all other 3 stages of the circuit. PCB is also designed using the same software.
- MATLAB: MATLAB is used for real time signal plotting. We used MATLAB as a tool for analyzing real time signal. AS the signal was quite noisy and fluctuating so we used MATLAB scope to plot the signal in real time. MATLAB is platform for mathematics and all types of functions and signal processing. WE can also use MATLAB for further signal processing. We used only the Simulink part of the MATLAB for Arduino board values.
- Arduino IDE: The Arduino IDE is the software for Arduino development board. The Arduino IDE is used for writing Arduino Code for the EEG circuit. The Arduino code to identify the threshold values of ADC and averaging the EEG signal values.
The circuit components have already been defined in the previous sections. In this section we will only discuss the parts for making the hardware for application.
The hardware of our project includes following components:
- Acrylic Box
- Wearable Cap
- PCB Board
- Jumper wires
Everything will be cleared in step by step guide so stay connected for more tutorials and guides.If you have any query about the project feel free to comment below and Subscribe to our YouTube channel for video tutorials and project application ideas.stay happy and stay motivated.