This is the complete step by step guide of Brain wave decoder project.We will cover each and every step with details and practical results.There are three main parts of the project The hardware,circuit designing and the software.In the hardware section we will discuss about EEG project applications,The selection of electrodes for capturing EEG waves. The circuit designing part consists of designing filters for extracting EEG waves.The last part is about test results and real time EEG wave simulations. The brain wave controlling EEG project consists of many sub sections.The complete project will be covered in the following posts.
- Brain wave decoder EEG project step by step guide
- What is EEG and How it works
- What is the History of EEG waves and Neuro imaging techniques
- Brain computer interface BCI monitoring systems
- Functionality and Applications of the brain wave EEG project
- Material required for portable EEG system development
- How to select electrodes for brain wave EEG project
- circuit designing steps for EEG portable monitoring device
- How to design filters for EEG circuit
- Schematic diagrams of brain wave EEG project
- Simulation analysis of brain wave controlling EEG project
- Challenges and Problems in EEG brain wave controlling project
- Final results of brain wave decoder EEG project
- How to filter EEG waves on MATLAB
- Future research for EEG project
- Hardware and software list for EEG project
Our project is divided into following phases:
- Selection of technique.
- Component Selection and Testing.
- Simulation and development of circuits.
- Finalizing the project.
Selection of Technique:
In the design phase of our project we selected our technique which has a scope in the emerging electronic market today and also has industrial value.
Component Selection and Testing:
After deciding the technique to be used for the project we decided which components to be used in the project and we tested each individual component.
Simulation and Development of Hardware:
After selection of all components, we simulated our design for each individual circuit. Firstly, we tested our simulations on software and then we developed hardware for EEG circuit. We have decided to make a medical prototype that indicates the patient states. There are three LEDs have been placed on the box with LCD to show the indications.
Problems Faced during the Project:
- Electrodes selection
- Proper skin contact using gel with dry electrodes
- Too much AC line Noise
- Removing Laptop charger for AC line noise during testing
- Desired Resistors and Capacitor values
There are different issues we have faced during this project. In the start it was quite difficult to understand how we can pick a signal using dry electrodes. As the time goes on the more clarity comes into the system.
- It was quite difficult to place electrodes every time and test the results. As in the start the circuit was not working. As we are using Ecg gel electrodes in the start so placing every time was irritating and difficult.
- The electrode placement was another challenge where to place. As in the start we are not getting or getting too much noisy signal on the frontal lobe. With gel electrodes we can not detect alpha waves because for alpha we need to place electrodes on the back of the head on hairs. So, it was another problem.
- As we have tested different circuit for results but none of was responding in the start. It was quite challenging to make the circuit workable. we tested every part with function generator signal and make sure that the circuit stages are working.
- Another problem was the components availability. Most of the required components was not available in the market. As the required resistor and capacitor values was not available we used different components in series and parallel.
- There is only one type of electrodes available in the market and these are without wires. So, we had to decide what type of electrodes works fine. We ordered from china the gold-plated electrodes in urgent. The price of electrode was not much but we got too much duty and taxes on that.
- The circuits we made at the start was not working as they are giving noise and not responding we had to identify from where and which type of noise that is coming into the circuit. The one and the main was the AC line noise the more AC environment the more noise present in the circuit.
- At the start we didn’t know about the response of the waves. Circuit responds sometimes but we were not sure that was the brain waves or the captured activity from the brain. It was hard to identify how and which type of response do we need because in the testing and experiments random waves generated and these look very similar to the defined brain waves.
- We have designed our own electrodes from scratch but thee response was not good there was much noise coming in the response.
- The safety of the brain is necessary because without gel the electrodes act as a metal that has some charge. There may cause short circuit or may damage the skin or brain. The current coming from electrodes without gel can damage the skin, so the safety was very important.
- After the working of circuit, the task was to use in the application. As there are different ideas where we can use the response to control anything, but we just controlled the simple medical prototype box. Just for the importance of circuit.
- The last and the most important was the AC line noise. In the start we didn’t know that the laptops charger creating the noise to the circuit. By removing charger and all other Ac sources we got results. Similarly, we need our feet’s above from the ground because the noise from ground was also affecting the circuit.